Marine Biology Research Division
Professor, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics
Director, Scripps Genome Center
- Microbial Genome Annotation; Comparison of whole genomes in closely related organisms and identification of laterally transferred genes using comparative operon structure for gene function and assignment
- Alternative Splicing in Eukaryotic Genes in humans, mice and rats. Impact on protein structure, emphasis on transcription factors. Impact in cancer related genes and genes expressed in embryonic development
- Regulation of RNA; Comparative identification of microRNA genes, prediction of mRNA targets of microRNA genes, prediction of pre-mRNA targets of RNA binding proteins, reconstruction of regulatory networks for RNA expression
- B.S., Computer Science and Russian, Duke University
- M.S., Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park: "Query Answering in Distributed Database Systems"
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park: "Generating Cooperative Answers in Deductive Databases"